What are things to put on a Resume ?
What is a resume?
Is CV, resume and bio data are same?
What is the latest method to write a resume?
What is the latest method to write a resume?
How we should write a resume?
What should you include in a resume?
What are the things we should avoid in what are the things we should avoid?
What are the contents of resume?
Do these all questions come in your mind while creating your resume? Relax, in today's article, we will discuss everything about resume.
Resume, CV and bio data.
CV, an abbreviation of curriculum Vita, is detailed and lengthier diary that includes all your work experiences, certifications, degrees, publications and other documents.
Bio data or biographical data is a summarized document, which focuses mainly on your personal details.
Whereas, Resume is a brief summary of one or two pages which describe your skills and work experience. Resume is always tailored to each position.
While applying for a job no matter whether you are intern, fresher, part timer or experienced you will need a perfect resume.
A nicely drafted resume is formally written document off your education, skills and achievements with brief information about you. No matter how boring it spins, creating your resume is a vital step in your career. Whether it is your first resume, third fourth, or any XYZ in number, it should look more attractive and should sell you on one sheet of paper. You will hardly get 10 to 15 seconds to impress your hiring manager through your resume.
Here are listed some important points which will help you to create a strong impressive resume which will stand you out from other applicants or candidates.
How should we write an impressive resume?
· Basics - Always start with your basics. It sounds obvious, but your resume should include your name address contact details (Contact number and email address). You should write your full name and permanent address, which is in your official ID’s. However if your permanent address and current address is not same you can mention your permanent address as parents address below your current address.
· Career objective or resume objective- This section comes right after your personal information your career objective should be a summarized two to three sentence long paragraph, giving a brief idea about your qualifications experiences and skills. It should be concise and not exaggerated.
· Types of resume- There are three basic types of resume:
1. Chronological Resume.
2. Functional Resume.
3. Combination resume.
1. Chronological resume - chronological resume is easy to write. It emphasizes your employment works by listing your work history in reverse order, starting with your current or most recent job and moving backwards. In general, opinion, employers like to see job titles, level of responsibility and dates of your work history. The only disadvantage of this format is it gains attention if you have any employment gaps and skills can be difficult to spot unless they are listed in the most recent job. However this few points can be overcome by smartly playing with your words.
2. Functional resume functional - resume focuses on skills and strengths and hide any spotty work history by omitting specific dates, names and places . It also allows you to highlight specific strength and skills that might not be obvious when written in chronological order. However, many employers dislike it, as it does not have detailed work history. It makes the recruiting manager think you may be trying to hide your age employment gaps left or relevant experience or you might be unemployed.
3. Combination resume - as the name itself says, it is a combination of both chronological resume and functional resume. It beautifully blends the flexibility and strength of the other two types of resume. It shows off a very strong employment record with skills used in the past in your jobs equally. However, it makes your resume unnecessarily lengthy and work history is mentioned on second page. Employer may not read that far.
· Education - Always list your latest education experiences 1st and then move backwards. Four years experience includes the Accomplishments you received and achievements.
Work experience. List your work experiences with organizations name, proper dates, and positions. Place them in the order with the most recent in first. Under each job, use bullet points to give a brief overview of your responsibilities and achievements with the skill you used.
· Skills or strengths - highlight your soft-core skills in a separate heading. Always list these kids order strength relevant to the job you are applying. Do not write to make it lengthy, unnecessary.
· Reference - Do not always list references beforehand. It is not required better skip it. List references only if it is asked. Many employers ask for references, then only you mention your references of people you know professionally that can vouch for your abilities and skills. Otherwise, instead on listing references, you can simply write “references available on request”.
What should be the length of resume?
One thing, which bothers us while creating our resume is what, should be the length of resume.
Keep your resume short and up to the point. It should be a one or two page resume beautifully summarized, with only your required details. A short simple yet strong informative resume makes a good impression on recruiter or employer.
What is the best format to write a resume?
As discussed before, there are three types of resuming. Chronological Resume Functional Resume and combination Resume. Between all three, chronological format is the most used format, as employers prefer it mostly. It can also be said that this is the best Choice for the most job seekers because it is simple format still have all details about the candidate.
Things you should include in Resume.
Do's of a Resume.
· Professional email address-Use a professional email address, such as Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail with a professional name. Example. Rahul.firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Updated contact details- Always update your contact details if there is any change occured in it.
· Font and size- While writing the resume, the letters should not be too large or too small. Always use size between10-15 points so that it is easily read. Also, use some gaps between all sentences. Ideally, it is one. As far as font is concerned, it should not be too artistic. Generally Calibri, Cambria, Helvetica, Georgia, Times new Roman, Garamond, Aerial, Lucida Sans and other Serif fonts are used for professional documents. Times new Roman and San Serif, which includes Calibri, Arial are most commonly used font.
· Format of resume- You can format as discussed is the best format.
· Alignment of content- Always, align your content from left to right.
· Use capital letters. Make best use of bold, Underline and italics to highlight something.
· Headings and subheadings- Align proper headings and subheadings to resume it so that it is easy and clear to read.
Things you should not include in resuming.
Don’ts of resume.
Job-hunting is totally an adventurous process. You have to rise against all odds to land on your dream job that you always wished. Hence, writing an impressive resume is important, so you should also be aware about the points, which you should not, including resume. Check out these pointers, which you should never ever include in resume.
· Unnecessary details - There is no need to label your resume as resume. Use your name as the filing. Similarly, no need to write resume as the heading of your resume. Everybody knows it.
· Unnecessary personal information - What is creating a resume? You should never mention your personal interests, likes, and dislikes, political views. No one has the time to read that information which has no significant to the job role
· Unprofessional email address - Always use a professional email address with your official name, email address, like cool DannyDanny@gmail.com is a Big No.
· Irrelevant work experience - It is always necessary to mention your work experience in your resume. Listing experiences will not only increase your value but also shows that you are capable and causes skills. While it is important to state all your experiences, you should also omit the work experience, which has no relevance with the job you are applying. You may have had diverse experiences, but if it has nothing to do with your job application, then it is a waste of recruiter’s time. It might indicate them. They might also feel that you are not serious enough for the job you are applying.
· Excessively lengthy resume - Overlooked by many, this brings a chance to get your resume shred right away. You may have many skills and achievements, but that does not mean all are relevant and required to list in resume.Change your resume according to the job position you are applying.
· Poor grammar and poor spellings - a totally" NO". Poor grammar and poor spellings are such mistakes doing which you are digging your own grave. These are not forgiven mistakes and you should recheck your resume twice before forwarding it.
· Salary expectations - Never mention your salary expectations in your resume.
· Last drawn salary - Adding last John salary in resume is a strict no. There is no point to stretch the contents of resume unnecessarily.
· Reason for leaving job - There is no need to add this in your resume. simply avoid it
As now as we know, all about resume, how to create resume, dos and don’ts of resume. Let us discuss the content of resuming
Resume and generally include the following contents in the same order as it is mentioned below. You can keep some content if you do not find it relevant in your profile, or tailor it, but remember while doing so. Do not change the order they are appearing.
· Contact details.
· Career objective.
· Accomplishments and achievements.
· Skills (Technical and soft skills).
· Personal attributes*.
· Educational qualification.
· Work experience.
· References or referees**.
*Personal attribute-You can add this point if you do not have any much work experience or if you are a fresher adding your attributes can be another way of demonstrating your talent
**References- List this only if it is mandatory or asked by the employer. Do not go ahead and give references names. However, you can add “reference on request” in this section if you really got good references.
In conclusion, always keep in mind your resume should be short, but a summary of your working skills, experiences, qualifications and achievements. Remember, “A resume that gets noticed is a resume that lands interview.”